AN OASIS is open on a busy Reading road – and it’s more than just a café.
Arty Giraffe is one of those places that you read about in glossy magazines and think ‘Wow! That’s amazing,
I wish we had something like that here.” Well, we do.
It has been created by Karen Lewis and Britt Bjoro, two Reading giraffes who want to help unleash everyone’s creativity.
The unique pottery painting studio offers everything from personalised gifts to hand and foot prints for little ones, coupled the chance to enjoy a cuppa and homemade cake while doing so.
Situated on Oxford Road, the natty café also runs parties for everything from hens to Brownies, can come to your home, school or workplace for a mobile session and runs regular workshops in all forms of art so that everyone can unleash their inner Rolf Harris.
The duo want people to come in and try their hand at making their own beautiful and uniquely decorated pottery item or take part in workshops led by local artists in everything from learning to draw to making jewellery.
“We try and make everything accessible,” says Karen. “Everyone can come along and create something they can be proud of.
“It’s a completely unique and memorable piece they’re creating,” she adds. “You can come in and make it, add a customised message and there will never been anything else like it.”
If all you want is just some refreshment, then Arty Giraffe is the place for you too.
Karen explains: “We use Kingdom Coffee for our café. We’re supporting a local business and we love their coffee. Our cakes and biscuits are homemade too.”
Keeping it local matters to the Arty Giraffers and that even includes its Oxford Road location.
“We wanted to be part of the Oxford Road – we love the community feel of the area,” Karen says.
The community loves Arty Giraffe back. Karen says that over its three years in existence, the duo have seen relationships built up.
“We enjoy working with lots of families,” she explains. “They’ll come in with babies for a hand or foot print, then we’ll see them again at Christmas and then a few years later for parties.
“It really is a long-term relationship.”
Karen and Britt are also members of Reading Community Church.
For more details or to browse its online store, log on to www.artygiraffe.com, call (0118) 941 8683 or visit 850 Oxford Road, Reading RG30 1EL.
The café is open from Tuesday-Saturdays from 10am to 5pm.
What you can do at Arty Giraffe
• Pottery painting – suitable for all ages
• Decopatch – a funky papercraft that’s a modern twist on traditional decoupage
• Hand and footprints – perfect for capturing your baby. Chose from plaster, clay, ceramic and silver prints
• Gifts – including mugs, plaques, plates and jewellery suitable for all occasions
• Mother and Baby group – every Wednesday from 11am-1pm
• Workshops – Learning to draw Fridays from 1pm-5pm and
Mixed Media on the first Thursday of the month from
• Parties – Have a creative party at Arty Giraffe including hen, vintage tea party, baby showers, groups and children’s parties.
• Arty Giraffe can come to you and take away party pack options are also available.