All Saints Church and Methodist Church, Wokingham
Youth and Children’s Worker
Our vision is for young people in our community to come to faith in Christ.
We are seeking to employ a youth and children’s worker as a member of the staff teams at All Saints and Wokingham Methodist Church to work alongside our volunteers to help us fulfil this vision.
We now wish to employ our lay youth and children’s worker to build on our existing work with younger children to meet the needs of older children in the churches and in local schools.
Three key responsibilities
- Work with children and young people, especially from 8 yrs to 13+ years, in the churches and the community, to explore their spirituality.
- Be an enthusiastic advocate for children and young people
- Work as part of a team with other staff and volunteers to develop and implement our vision for children and young people in our community.
The right candidate will have:
- A genuine calling and vision for youth and children’s work with a strong spiritual life
- Appropriate experience of facilitating youth work in a voluntary or paid capacity
- Used to working creatively and imaginatively with young people
- Ability to empathise and develop positive relationships with young people
- Proven ability to work with volunteers
- Commitment to teamwork and with ability to work on own initiative
- Good leadership, organisational and communication skills, and ability to prioritise work
- Good basic education (numeracy and literacy) and IT skills.
- Understanding and valuing the characteristics of the Church of England and Methodist Churches
- Understanding of and commitment to ecumenical collaboration
- Able to adhere to health and safety, child protection and other statutory policies of the Church.
- This post is subject to enhanced DBS disclosure. It is a condition of employment that the Youth Worker will undertake Safeguarding leadership training and keep all such training and certification current.
- At least two satisfactory written references are required.
There is a genuine occupational requirement that the post-holder is a Christian. (A confirmed member of the Church of England, Methodist Church or Roman Catholic Church, or a full member of a member church of Churches Together in Britain and Ireland, or the World Council of Churches.)
Hours of work and Salary
This is a full time role – 37.5 hours per week. The working schedule is flexible, but will involve working on most Sundays and some evening work. Salary will be £21,855.
This post will be subject to assessment of satisfactory progress after a probationary period of 6 months.
For further information please contact:
Mrs Jo Asplin (Parish Administrator), Parish Office, The Cornerstone, Norreys Avenue, WOKINGHAM, Berkshire RG40 1UE
e mail: [email protected]
Tel 0118 979 2797
Please also contact the Administrator if you would like to arrange a time to discuss with the post with the Reverend Anna Harwood
Applicants wishing to be considered for the post should submit a Curriculum Vitae and a covering letter.
The closing date for applications is 28 February 2017. Interviews will be held on 13 March 2017.